Stuffed peppers are a dish, which we all associate with Italian gastronomy. But, this recipe, since ancient times, has been made in many countries. The basic principle is the same, prepare a meat stew, you can be beef, chicken, turkey, and even lamb. Then that stew is placed inside the hollow part of the peppers and cooked together.From one country to another, the type of pepper varies, and the filling. For this recipe, we'll prepare the classic Italian paprika with some variations to take care of our health.The traditional stew with which Italian peppers are stuffed is a mixture of beef, pork, rice, and vegetables. Then it is covered with a little cheese and baked.Our variations are as follows: We will only use lean beef. Instead of using rice, we will use pieces of cauliflower, spices, and a little topping of cheese. Lots of flavors and few carbohydrates.
- 4 bell peppers
- 1 lb ground beef (lean)
- 2 tsp sunflower oil
- 1 white onion (large)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 2 cups cauliflower
- 1 cup tomato puree (unsweetened)
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tbsp oregano
- 2 tbsp basil
- 2 tbsp thyme
- 3 tbsp mozzarella
- Preheat oven to 320°F. Prepare a baking sheet, cover it with a little oil or butter.
- The first step is to prepare the vegetables. Peel the onion, and finely chop it into small squares. Peel the garlic and crush it. Wash the carrot, peel, and grate on the thickest side of the cheese grater. Cut the celery stick into thin slices.
- Wash the cauliflower, and cut it as small as possible into pieces the size of a grain of rice. If desired, you can grate it, or chop it with a food processor.
- In a sauté pan, place the oil. When it is very hot add onion, minced garlic, and celery. Cook for about 3 to 5 minutes until the onion turns transparent.
- Then, add the minced ground beef. Stir with a wooden paddle, and break up the lumps of meat while cooking. When the meat has lost its pinkish color, add the carrot, spices, and tomato paste. Stir well until all the ingredients are well integrated.
- Add the broth, and cook over high heat for about 5 more minutes. After five minutes, add the cauliflower, stir, cook for two minutes, and turn off. The filling is ready.
- Wash the paprika very well, and with a sharp knife remove only the stem of the paprika, making a circle and removing it as if it were a lid.
- Cut the bell peppers crosswise into two parts. Place the paprika halves on the tray. Fill them with the meat stew.
- Sprinkle a pinch of fresh cheese over each half of the paprika and take them to the oven. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes. If you want the bell peppers to be very soft, you can cook for up to 35 minutes.
Sodium: 425mgCalcium: 187mgVitamin C: 251mgVitamin A: 8812IUSugar: 14gFiber: 8gPotassium: 1296mgCholesterol: 89mgCalories: 468kcalSaturated Fat: 11gFat: 28gProtein: 27gCarbohydrates: 27gIron: 6mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this particular one. I mean, Yes, it was my choice to read through, but I really thought you would have something helpful to say. All I hear is a bunch of crying about something that you can fix if you were not too busy seeking attention.