The Nicoise salad, sourced from Nice, is a classic of French cuisine. It is a rich combination of raw vegetables and fish. The recipe has evolved over time, as the original version did not contain potatoes, beans, or anchovies.Our version is a bit more like the original recipe. Because we made some adaptations to make it low in carbohydrates and salt. Usually, some capers are added, and anchovies, which, because of having too much salt, we prefer to omit. Potatoes too, because they have a very high glycemic index. And so, we prefer to double the amount of artichoke hearts.You can use canned tuna and artichokes. In this case, the salad is prepared in about 15 minutes. We recommend that while you cook the eggs, wash and cut the rest of the ingredients. Then, dinner will be ready quickly.
For The Salad
- 2 cans tuna (light, packed in water, no added salt)
- 4 medium eggs
- 2 cups artichoke heats (cooked)
- 4 medium tomatoes
- 1 large white onion
- 8 black olives (optional)
- 2 radishes
- 1 bell pepper (yellow or green)
- 1 head romaine lettuce
For The Dressing
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp wine vinegar (can use plain white vinegar)
- ¼ cup water
- ½ tsp corn starch
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch herbs de provence
- Put enough water in a small saucepan to boil the eggs, bring it to the stove, and turn the stove on high heat. When the water is boiling, put the eggs in the pot and boil them for about ten minutes until they are hard. Drain the water, and wait until they are cold to peel them.
- Wash the lettuce very well, if possible, soak for about 3 minutes in vinegar mixed in with water. Drain excess. Place in the bottom of the salad bowl, to form a bed of lettuce.
- Meanwhile, wash the tomatoes well. Then with a sharp knife, peel them off. Carefully extract the seeds with a small spoon. Cut into medium cubes, and place on one side of the salad bowl.
- Wash the radishes and cut them into thin slices. Do not peel the radishes as they are consumed with the skin. Place them in the salad bowl, next to the tomatoes.
- Peel the onion, and cut it finely into thin strips. Put the strips next to the radishes.
- Wash the bell pepper. Using a sharp knife, cut the stem, remove the light-colored seeds and veins. Then cut it into thin strips. Place the pepper strips in the salad bowl.
- Drain excess water from canned tuna and artichokes. Put them in the salad bowl too. (You may want to rinse both in cold water then pu into salad bowl).
- Remove the shell from the eggs, and cut them on fixed wheels, and put them on top of the vegetables. Set aside a few minutes while preparing the dressing.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water, and microwave for 15 seconds. Remove from the microwave carefully. Add all the ingredients of the dressing: the oil, the Dijon mustard, the French herbs (herbs de provence), the wine vinegar, the pepper and the pinch of salt. Stir very well and drizzle it it on top of the salad.
- Mix the salad a little witha large spoon, and serve.
Sodium: 792mgCalcium: 111mgVitamin C: 85mgVitamin A: 16667IUSugar: 9gFiber: 8gPotassium: 948mgCholesterol: 34mgCalories: 306kcalSaturated Fat: 2gFat: 16gProtein: 22gCarbohydrates: 21gIron: 4mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!